About Me

For booking: info@ellemaxwell.com

11.1.11


I took a writing break and checked out the blogs for anything new be it music, fashion, lifestyles, etc. Now, I saw the video still for the first roundtable discussion from Dee Vazquez but never watched it. After watching this though I feel like I have to pay attention, especially because it's concerning one of the fields that I'm going into. These lovely ladies talked about the status of women in hip hop as far as will there ever be one to just break out into the industry without needing a cosign or being the token female rapper out of 20+ dudes. Since females have entered the hip hop music industry there has always been a cosign needed to give her that extra push or be heard by her targeted audience. I don't know why that's the case (politics) but it is. They made valid points in this discussion when they brought up Eve, Amil, Remy Ma, and now Nikki Minaj being that token female emcee out their clicks.


My take on it is, although we are in a new year and technology is rapidly evolving such as the internet and its many outlets, having a female break out on her own is not going to happen overnight. When you get into any industry or field you realize that there is much so politics going on that it's not funny. I'm not saying it's impossible but look what year it is - 2011. It's been well over 20 years and we still have yet to a female emcee come into the hip hop scene all on her own without any cosign. I would love to see the opposite of that happen and I would love for it to be me! But when you're dealing with money, egos, and the opposite sex the odds of that happening is seeming more like a fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment